zondag 5 februari 2012

Heart of an orchid


I made this painting a couple of years ago. It is a close-up of a phalaenopsis orchid. I had a orchid like this for many years, but it didn't survive moving to a new home.
In the heart of phalaenopsis orchids you find many different colors. I used many different kinds of pink, red and purple for this painting.
The purple petals are painted in pink first, but I thought it was too pink. I used a second layer of more blue/purple paint. You can still see the pink trough the blue  paint, which gives it a different texture than the heart of the orchid. I like it now, but I'm not sure if I can do it again like this. I was correcting a mistake and now I think it wasn't really a mistake to start with bright pink. I guess this is the way we learn from our mistakes.

It is a small painting on canvas (30x30 cm's).

9 opmerkingen:

  1. Luckily we learn from our mistakes! But this orchid painting is fabulous! What skills and patience you are showing here, and the bold colors are fantastic!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Erg mooi zo! Ook de compositie is mooi gekozen.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Thank you Jane. Patience... Sometimes I start a painting and think "why did I ever start this painting?" But I always try to finish a painting. Also if I have to paint many small purple or red dots.

    Dank je Brigitte. Ik heb dit schilderij gemaakt naar een foto die ik zelf maakte van een roze orchidee. De foto zal nu wel zoek zijn. Ik maak graag vreemde foto's van deze orchideeën.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Meid, ik zie niks te mistake, gewldig, het lijkt wel een foto!,!!!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. I am hypnotized by this painting! I wouldn't know where to start to paint something like that. What an amazing look into the heart of the flower!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. Hij is echt heel mooi - prachtige diepe kleuren.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. So beautiful Jennifer!~ I love it,Diana

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen